Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Problem With Perry

Let me preface this entire post by saying that I will vote for Rick Perry over Barack Obama in a general election. I will HATE doing it. I mean, I will absolutely loathe myself in that I-need-to-take-an-hour-long-hot-shower-and-still-won't-feel-clean-enough loathing for voting for Rick Perry. To me, in the contest of the lesser of two evils, well, Perry wins hands down. But I am the exception.

Rick Perry is unelectable versus Barack Obama. Period. The End. I don't care how much money the man has. I don't. Rick Perry will never win against Obama and it has nothing to do with the merits of his candidacy. It has everything to do with Barack Obama's ability to run against George W. Bush.

In the 2008 election, Obama ran not against McCain, but Bush. He was elected not for McCain or Palin's inadequacies, but for Bush's. For the last three years we have heard nothing but "Blame Bush" for every failure of his administration. Essentially, the man has run a perpetual campaign against George W. Bush for the last four years. And now in the face of this, there is a camp of people who want to place a drawling swaggering Texan with half the talent and capability of our last drawling swaggering Texan in a position to run against him. Why don't we just GIVE this administration another four years?

If there is one thing that the last three years has taught us it is that there is only one thing Barack H. Obama can do successfully and that is BLAME BUSH. So WHY in a million zillion years would anyone in their right mind pick a candidate with the accent and mannerisms of the second coming of Bush to face a person who has made a successful career out of villainizing him?

It is obvious that many have never gotten over 2000. Every presidential election since has been a 2000 rematch. Even an election where Bush was not a candidate. Two thousand twelve will be no exception.

No comments: