Friday, March 18, 2011

Once Upon A Time...

I started this blog during the 2008 campaign season to express my political views in lieu of clogging up my facebook feed. I continued to blog for nearly a year following the election and made some fine friends along the way. There were only two problems. One, the conservative blogosphere moves WAY too fast for me to keep up with posting the latest news race. Two, I found myself caving and compromising my own political philosophy in order to get readers. This was nobody's fault but my own--I am not writing this to denigrate ANYONE.

So this is me.

I am a mother. I am a military wife. I am a lawyer. I am a musician. I am a scientist. I am an artist. I love the water. I care passionately about the environment. I am a Roman Catholic adult convert. I am a feminist. I am a clotheshorse. I am pretty funny. I am a good cook. And I am a neoconservative.

So how can someone who, on paper, fits the stereotype of a liberal consider themselves a neoconservative? Two words: Women's Rights.

I consider myself a neoconservative because I think there is no problem worse on our small globe than the overt oppression and subjugation of women. I am not talking about women who can't get access to free abortions in our free society. I am not talking about women not being able to whip out a boob in a public place to feed a baby. I am not even talking about women being paid less for doing the same work. Nope. I am talking about state-sponsored oppression of women wherein women are still deemed chattel by their own governments. I am talking about governments who do not allow their female citizens a voice yet are recognized and supported by the world economy under the guise of multiculturalism.

I guess I am a small "r" republican in that I believe that first generation individual rights of all humans should be guaranteed by not just our own nation, but the global community as a whole.

So this is where I come from. I think about things. I am open to discussion with viewpoints that diverge from my own and I welcome you to engage [albeit thoughtfully and respectfully].

No comments: